
After a long hard day of training in the subject of "saving the world in two years", sometimes like the trainees like to kick it with a cold one.

See how happy we are to be saving the world, one Burkinabe small enterprise at a time?

We also finesse our agility skills by engaging in the competitive sport of "cricket ensnaring," using only the most primitive tools (i.e., the pliers on a Leatherman).

Philosophical discussions on international development, featuring lots of hand gestures.

Chowin' down on Porc au Four, a Burkinabe specialty, at Oxygene, our friendly neighborhood Rasta bar. We're all maneuvering around our high-tech fly repellents (i.e., greasy brown paper plate cover). The Guinness that Aaron is drinking cost over 2x what the plate of pork cost.

Eating Benga (rice with black-eyed peas) at Chez Tanti, one of my favorite local restaurants because of their super-wonderful piment sauce. Aaron is going to drink water out of that plastic bag - unfortunately, most of our cold drinks come out of plastic bags similar to that one. To access the liquid, one tears off the corner using teeth and then suckles. Us Americans can't drink the free water provided in the pitcher because it's tap water, and tap water has giardia and other not-so-fun amoeba in it.


The top photo is of a handsome man trying to purchase a cold beverage. The middle photo shows Peace Corps Trainees herding like cattle for cold beverages. The cold beverages available for purchase include bissap (red tea), lemonade, tamarind juice and yogurt. The bottom photo shows our happy faces after we have purchased and starting enjoying the cold beverages. This is also the window of the entrepreneur with which David and his team worked to introduce iced coffee to the Burkinabe. "
Doing things is what he likes to do!"
After the site assignment ceremony. Dave and I are going to Orodara!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orodara
Our great joy at having received a letter from Aunt Liz!
I hope you appreciated this post - it took me about an hour to upload!!
3 comments:
Hey there!!! It's great to see you guys again. It looks like you are having an awesome time. What takes place during your average day there? How long is your commute? Is the traffic just as bad? haha, j/k
I bookmarked your blog so update it often. Tell Dave, everyone at GD says hello!
Stay safe.
I finally read through your blogs and I must say it's nice to finally see Dave smiling in the photos (he looks miffed or even constipated in the earlier pics). LOVE the haircut and your "wheels" even more - Dave you MUST get a pic of Maggie on the bike; not sure I've even seen her on a bike (besides the Xmas pic). Gonna send you a care package within the next couple of weeks so let me know if there's anything pressing you'd like included in that package (I'm waiting to go back to Beantown to get that family pic you requested). Love and miss you lots!!!
I was reading the wiki article about the town and it has a cinema!! Lucky you, while over saving the world you won't miss one minute of the new harry potter films.
I hope this finds you both doing well, the pictures are amazing, I don't know how you all do it.
Be careful over there and good luck with everything!
Post a Comment