Monday, October 5, 2009

Random Musings, from America

The USPS is really stepping up their marketing game, a fact I noticed today when I went to the Allston post office to mail a small package. The woman helping me gave me 76 different options for shipment (priority mail? delivery confirmation? insurance?) all of which I declined. The total came to $1.73. Before accepting my cash, she asked "Do you want to open a PO Box today?" While I appreciate her offer, it made me wonder if people ever open PO Boxes on a whim like that. Whoever does that must be ultra-sensitive to suggestion. If you are one of those people, let me know, as I also have some things to sell you.

My brain can only handle two languages at a time, English and another language. Today I saw my uncle and he said "your shoes look nice" in Korean. I replied "Merci," but mid-way through saying it I realized it was French, so it came out as "Meh-she," which roughly translates to "what time?" in Korean. Oh well.


Today I also watched the Simpsons on Hulu and have the following observations:
1. The writers are clinging to the edge of Relevance with their fingertips
2. Edna Krabappel sounds different - is it a new actor?
3. Homer talks slower than usual... old age?
4. Slow creep of "Family Guy" style zingers in the mix
5. Continuity issues - Milhouse has a blackberry at the start of the episode, then an iPhone later. What gives?
6. There was a joke about the movie "Back to School," which is as dated as my CFA teacher quoting "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" a couple years ago. Also Rodney Dangerfield's voice is clearly Duffman. What gives?

I have a lot of love and admiration for Liz Swenton right now. If you know her, you know why. Send positive energy her way. xoxo

PS - My and Dave's families are awesome. Thank you for making this such a comfortable and easy vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss you both already.

Love, Mom and Dad S.

Unknown said...

Thanks Maggie. xoxo